By Andrew Glikson There was a time when the contamination of drinking water constituted a punishable crime. Nowadays those who willfully ignore or promote the destruction of the Earth’s atmosphere and ocean acidification through the rise in emission of carbon…
We have the best evidence yet that there was a prolonged drought at the time of the demise of the classic Mayan civilisation – and could explain why it collapsed
Many people are choosing non-dairy milks like soy, almond and coconut milk these days either because they are sensitive to dairy products or they are concerned about the effect of industrial dairy production on the health of cows and the environment.
But not all non-dairy milks are healthy or sustainable.
Problems with non-dairy alternatives to milk include:
- Some are made with GMO ingredients or industrial monocultures (especially soy milk);
- Some require vast, unsustainable quantities of water and generate tons of waste to produce. (almond milk, rice milk);
- Some are shipped from fragile, tropical ecosystems thousands of miles away (coconut milk);
- Some are sorely lacking in taste, nutrition and cooking function (rice milk);
- Most contain questionable or unhealthy additives like sugar, carrageenan and guar gum.
But there is a non-dairy milk that tastes phenomenal, is uses 6 times less water than almond milk, is affordable to produce, and can actually improve incomes for small and mid-size farmers:
What is Oat Milk?
Swathes of the northern hemisphere are smashing temperature records. Could it be because we’ve broken the ocean currents that stabilise our weather?
Today August 1, 2018, is Earth Overshoot Day which marks the date when all of humanity have used more from nature than our planet can renew in the entire year.…
The post Think Denmark Is A Green Leader? Earth Overshoot Day Hints Otherwise appeared first on PlanetSave.
Earth Overshoot Day is a hugely popular way to highlight our global environmental impact. Here are two views on it…
As a transplant to the West Coast, I had never had a fresh date before. I never liked the hard, withered dry dates in the bulk bin of my local health food store on the East Coast, but fresh, ripe dates just picked from the tree are juicy and sweet, with a crisp skin that tries to slip off as you eat them. This simple spread makes the most of them.
Simple Date Spread
Quick, easy to make, and delicious, this fresh date spread is a sweet treat to put on bread, ice cream or any other dessert.
- 1 cup fresh dates
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (fresh-squeezed)
- 1 tsp. rose water ((OPTIONAL))
- Pit the dates, chop them roughly, and pack them firmly into a bowl.
- Add lemon juice, rosewater (if used), and sufficient pure water to barely cover the dates.
- Refrigerate overnight, then purée using a blender.
- Store in a jar in the fridge.
- Enjoy as a topping for fruit desserts, or as a spread on bread or crackers!
A rare tsunami may have struck the islands of Shetland and Orkney off the UK’s north coast 5500 years ago, killing dozens of people who had to be hastily buried
It’s been obvious for years, but let’s just make it explicit. Donald Trump bashes, lies about, and demonizes anyone who could tell you about his crimes, lies, and immoral behavior.…
The post Look, If You Can’t See How Trump Tricks You, You Have Some Serious Blinders On appeared first on PlanetSave.
If You Can’t See That Trump Is Putin’s Bi***, You’re An Idiot, Hugely Uninformed, A Rabbit, Or All Of The Above
Donald Trump has criticized almost everyone. I think the only notable people I’ve not see him attack are his own blood relatives and Vladimir Putin, and I’ve even read reports…