Please help keep this Site Going

Menopausal Mother Nature

News about Climate Change and our Planet

Gallup: Only 4% of Americans Own An EV, 41% ‘Unequivocally’ Won’t Buy One

Gallup: Only 4% of Americans Own An EV, 41% ‘Unequivocally’ Won’t Buy One

electric vehicles only sign

Although the Biden administration is using tax credits and emissions regulations to try to compel more Americans to buy electric cars, a new poll shows that only 4% of Americans own an electric vehicle (EV) and only 12% are “seriously considering” buying one.

On the other hand, 43% said they might consider buying an EV sometime in the future and 41% unequivocally said they would not buy one. [emphasis, links added]

Americans’ adoption of electric vehicles is proving to be slow,” said Gallup in reference to its March 1-23 poll.

In addition, the survey found that “While about four in 10 U.S. adults think using EVs helps address climate change a ‘great deal’ (12%) or a ‘fair amount’ (27%), roughly six in 10 believe it helps ‘only a little’ (35%) or ‘not at all’ (26%). [Total: 61%]”

On the political scale, Democrats are more likely to be EV-friendly but Republicans are not keen on the product.

For instance, Gallup asked, “Thinking now about electric vehicles, which of the following applies to you — you currently own an electric vehicle, you are seriously considering buying an electric vehicle, you might consider buying an electric vehicle in the future, or you would not buy an electric vehicle?”

In response, 6% of Democrats said they own an EC and 22% are “seriously considering” buying one. 54% said they might consider it in the future and 17% said flat-out no.

For Republicans, about 1% said they currently own an EV or were seriously considering purchasing one. However, 26% said they might consider buying one in the future while 71% said flat-out no.

For Independents, the respective percentages were 4%, 11%, 47%, and 38% (see chart).

When it comes to EVs and their effect on climate change, 55% of Republicans said no effect, and 32% said “only a little.”

For Democrats, however, 22% said the effect was “a great deal” and 46% said “a fair amount.” (See chart.)

“While ownership of electric vehicles is on the rise in the U.S., the percentage of Americans who say they own one remains limited at 4%,” reported Gallup.

“Though they are often promoted as a key way to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and address the effects of climate change, the public remains largely unconvinced that the use of EVs accomplishes this aim.

The survey team noted that the Biden administration has “set a goal that half of all new vehicle sales be electric by 2030” and “the state of California has mandated that all new vehicle sales in the state by the year 2035 must be zero-emission vehicles….”

The Biden administration also announced on April 12 that it wants to impose tougher emissions rules to compel carmakers to build more EVs by 2032.

“Depending on how automakers comply, the EPA projects that at least 60% of new passenger vehicles sold in the U.S. would be electric by 2030 and up to 67% by 2032,” reported the Associated Press.

According to Cox Automotive, the parent of Kelley Blue Book, “the average transaction price for electric cars was $65,291 in September 2022.

By comparison, gas-powered vehicles cost less, with an average transaction price of about $48,100 in the same timeframe.”

To read the survey, click here.

Read more at CNSNews

Trackback from your site.

Please help keep this Site Going